Exhibitionists

Brief

Graphic Communication Design Unit 7
Project Brief#1

Student name: Nanlin Shi
Student ID: SHI17525981

Project Title:

Design and New MediaWechatIMG3.jpeg.3
Exhibitionists Understanding the user
“User-centred design means understanding what your users need, how they think, and how they behave — and incorporating that understanding into every aspect of your process.” Jess James Garrett,The Nine Pillars of Successful Web Teams, 2003

Project Context:

In the initial data collection elements for this project you must identify a museum or gallery that is both suitable for the assessment tasks and convenient enough for you to make one or more fact-finding and user-modelling visits - some suggestions are listed elsewhere in this document. Depending on the overall size of your chosen exhibition space, you may focus your study on a single room or the entire space. you must identify a museum or gallery that is both suitable for the assessment tasks and convenient enough for you to make one or more fact-finding and user-modelling visits - some suggestions are listed elsewhere in this document. Depending on the overall size of your chosen exhibition space, you may focus your study on a single room or the entire space.

Primary research, observing and analysing user(visitors) characteristics and behaviours.

Secondary research, gathering data and information from online and paper based sources.
Identification of 3-4 archetypal user groups.

Individual activities and outputs
Create one well-crafted persona to represent each user group identified by the research(3-4 in total).
Research a variety of other user-modeling techniques. Make an informed choice of one of these techniques and use it to further model your user.
Evidence these individual activities by creating digital outputs of the personas and user-models then publish them on your workflow. Also publish a digitized indicative selection from your sketchbooks etc.

Project Description:

For the purpose of this project, imagine that you have been commissioned by a major museum or gallery to carry out user research - (Collect and Comprehend). This is part of a design process which might lead to the development of a tablet app that will enrich the experience of visitors to the exhibition space - although these Conceptualise and Create activities are outside the scope of this particular project.

Resources required:

The National Gallery , London
https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk

The British Museum
http://www.britishmuseum.org.uk

Victoria and Albert Museum
http://www.vam.ac.uk

The Science Museum
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

Research

We Listen Campaign, Nadav Kander , Israel

78509dl21b1812_ooh_a3_english_nr_aotw.jpg.1

3ce305b3840eb5dfcbaa0cf95df0d57b.png

Samaritans-We-Listen-Campaign-Poster-3.jpg.1

Hidden messaging

Nadav Kander (born December 1, 1961) is a London-based photographer, artist and director, known for his portraiture and landscapes. Kander has produced a number of books; had his work exhibited widely; he received an Honorary Fellowship from the Royal Photograp hic Society in 2015, won the Prix Pictet and a World Press Photo award; and his work is included in the collections of the National Portrait Gallery, the Société Générale, Paris, Pictet & Cie’s Art Collection and other museums and galleries.

The artwork references a range of common everyday issues that people might struggle with, such as job loss or relationship breakdown, but which they wouldn’t necessarily consider seeking help for. The hidden messages show that while on the surface people may appear to be coping in these scenarios, in reality they may be feeling vulnerable and in need of support. 

I think this poster design is very special. Among them, there is a very attractive background behind them. They use some light colors as a background. In order to meet the people's back, the audience may feel disappointed and sad, what designers want the audience to get. The highlight of these posters is the contrast between slogans and pictures. This sentence is a person's monologue, saying they think it's good or they're okay. But obviously they lied to us. In fact, they have some problems in their minds, but they do not want to talk to other people.

Posters Designed by WWF Organization

20160811022237594.jpg

u=3844123801,575756181&fm=214&gp=0.jpg

9-1F326215517-51.jpg

The connection between humans and wildlife has been skillfully demonstrated.

WWF is the world’s leading independent protection organization. Their mission is to create a world where people and wildlife can thrive together.

In order to realize their mission, they are trying to help change the future of the world’s wildlife, rivers, forests and oceans; promote reduction of carbon emissions and avoid catastrophic climate change; and urgently need to take measures to help people continue to move forward within the means of our planet. life.

Their work has left a deep impression on me because every poster they make has a very powerful visual effect, all of which can convey a strong feeling to each audience. Their mission is to protect wildlife and prevent climate change, so most of their posters are related to biology or the Earth. Some people have always been their entry point for killing animals for money or other purposes. They cleverly combined to make the audience aware of how violent their actions are to wildlife. I really like their poster design. They gave me a lot of inspiration and let me know how to show the protagonist's implied meaning on the protagonist.

Sunday Sketching, Christoph Niemann, Germany

u=3686014961,2190009569&fm=175&s=8D32E4130B5243E93F5444D60300C0A0&w=400&h=476&img.jpg

u=3184786447,1781464064&fm=175&s=BD82A75E5581C6E40CCDEC7A0200C072&w=640&h=595&img.jpg

u=1820148309,4151133756&fm=175&s=41243D734193EDE34EECF9D7000070A2&w=640&h=595&img.jpg

u=3193871714,1052508892&fm=175&s=E1F20366C226BCFE4D3418090100A091&w=640&h=595&img.jpg

Make life's everyday items bizarre and interesting

Christoph Niemann (born 1970 in Waiblingen, West Germany) is an illustrator, graphic designer, and (co-)author of several books including some children's books. He studied at the State Academy of Fine Arts in Stuttgart under Heinz Edelmann. After his studies in Germany, he moved to New York City in 1997. His work has appeared on the covers of The New YorkerAtlantic MonthlyThe New York Times Magazine and American Illustration, and has won awards from AIGA, the Art Directors Club and American Illustration. Niemann is a member of the Alliance Graphique Internationale. He has been a speaker at Design Indaba Conference twice, in 2006 and 2013.

"Every time I see an item, I will imagine something that has nothing to do with it. The more weird the better. I will stare at it until some picture appears in my head," Niemann said.

It can be seen that each painting is very sloppy and the strokes are very simple, but what is important is that each painting has an amazing creative idea. After half an avocado was created by Christoph Niemann's brain hole, he became a baseball player's glove. After a few times the iphone headset was twisted and placed into a blood-sucking mosquito, such as these people admired the creator's wisdom and humor sense.

Purification or Pollution, Lee Ching Tat,  Japan

bb931032490163.5a69725805e7d.jpg

cebfe832490163.5a69725806a4b.jpg

312d4f32490163.5a69725806758.jpg

5793b932490163.5a69725806261.jpg

Graphic designer. Born in Hong Kong in 1989 and graduated from Kyoto University of Plastic Arts in 2015. Focus on brand image, visual design and packaging. In 2017, Mortise deisgn. Mortise was founded as “榫”, which refers to the seamless integration of oriental traditional woodworking. The purpose of the Mortise design design is also to combine both social and brand names as “榫” to present the personality and value of each brand.

These posters would like to provide a social phenomenon. Purification and pollution which way you think?

"Purification or Pollution ?" is a non-profit project. The purpose is to provoke people to reflect on what society has inculcated in us. The process of obeying the system is like bleaching, no matter what goes into the final will become a unified white. As a human, do you think it is purification or pollution ?

illustration&poster, Shu Ran, China

WechatIMG3.jpeg.7

WechatIMG2.jpeg.8

Shu Ran, from Shanghai. In life, she runs her own studio and focuses on illustration. She used illustrations to show her life. When she slowly became famous, her works appeared in the form of posters and print advertisements. On the internet, she regularly updates her work. Her work is easy and it gives readers warmth and joy.

Reflection

This morning(26/02/18) we introduced the activities of the Commue Group. I remember that at first I didn't know what the Commue was. I didn't understand the relationship between it and the project or Unit 7. But after three days, I think it makes sense to me. The Commue Group's activities are a great opportunity to practice communication skills with partners. It also challenged our teamwork ability. In addition, we need to know how to find resources from others. This means designing without online materials. This is the focus and purpose of the Commue.

In the afternoon, I began to write a briefing for the first project of Unit 7. Based on our previous project theme and anything we found during the Commue, we mixed our ideas and developed the first newsletter. At first I didn't know what I was thinking because I didn't know what I could do in this project without a clear theme. At the beginning of the Commue event, my partner and I did not understand each other. Only through getting along can we understand. I am thinking about whether there is any way to quickly understand a person or group of people. I want to carry out this activity in a fixed place. I think my ideas can be expressed through pure visual communication. They all have the same features that combine photography with simple graphics. I think this is something I can do in this project.

I will take some photos for my project work today(28/02/18). I went to a small museum and photographed some of the people who visited the museum. I carefully observed each person visited and invited them to conduct the survey. I always collect some photos until 3 pm. Some of these photos are shown below the text box.

WechatIMG7.jpeg.2

Questionnaire:        WechatIMG2.jpeg.4

Based on the results of the questionnaire survey, I made some summary on the sketchbook and summarized some valuable information. Prepare for the next job. At the same time, consider in what form the final result is displayed.

WechatIMG10.jpeg

I brought the work done last weekend to today’s (05/03/18)campus. The tutor looked at all my pictures and asked me the goal of this project. I told her my thoughts and confusion during the production of these photos, and I wanted to get some useful suggestions for more of my projects. The mentor thinks this idea is good, but there is a lack of connection between these pictures. In addition, she suggested that I collect more information.

If I can create an interesting story for these images, I think this will be a good thing. I started thinking about how to do this. I reviewed all the photos I had taken last week and tried to find something in common between them.

I intend to divide the survey into three different ages, children, teenager and the elderly. They come to the museum's feelings, ideas, and even more in-depth understanding of their hobbies, goals, and values. What I do next is to mark some keywords on the photos. 

WX20180415-163737@2x.png

But I think this kind of work is too simple. It doesn't achieve the results I want and there is very little that can be shown. This question made me ponder for a long time. In fact, I can display it in the form of a poster, It is not just a simple photo. So I decided to use ai to start making posters. I hope these posters will look interesting and attract people's attention while also meeting the characteristics of each age group. 

new visitor.jpg

Outcome

new.jpg.1

new2.jpg.1

new3.jpg.1